SRSP has been running an interesting project ‘All Children in School’ with UNICEF for promotion of child education in selected districts (Kohat, Hungu and Haripur) of NWFP. Under the project, it has been working in close collaboration with UNICEF, District Education Department and communities following a three pronged approach:
- Mobilizing Parent Teacher Associations in improving the schools and enrolment.
- Investments in training/capacity building of PTAs through DED and bringing in innovations generating critical thinking
- Revival/constitution/Strengthening of District Education Committees to plan, implement and monitor the progress on Quality Education for All.
In 2003, SRSP in partnership with UNICEF in Upper Dir, strengthened its focus on development effectiveness through renewed focus of its project portfolio, creating and strengthening greater partnerships with key stakeholders, applying lessons learned from its initial work with UNICEF and intensifying focus on results.
Under this partnership with financial & technical assistance from UNICEF, the project activities have been initiated in 9 selected union councils of District Upper Dir. These union councils were selected in consultation with District Education Department and District Government. The focus under the partnership is at:
- Establishing 27 Community Based Schools focusing girl child in nine selected union councils
- Capacity building of Community Based and Government schools’ teachers and Parent Teachers Association
- improving/rehabilitation of Water Environment & Sanitation (WES) facilities in government girls’ primary schools
- Constitution of volunteer network forums
- Continued support to 21 out of 60 CBS established by Dir-Kohistan Project
- Linkages and networking
Social mobilization is the centerpiece of the project strategy for establishing community based schools, though the capacity building and improving/rehabilitation of WES activities is mainly been done with District Education Department directly. Extensive dialogues, in case of CBS, at UC level are carried. To monitor the progress at union council level, Volunteer Network Forum (VNF) comprising Union Nazim/Naib Nazim, community members, Khateebs, government servants, students, media person etc. are formed. Agreement on project terms of partnership is solicited in open community dialogues.
SRSP/UNICEF project characteristics/roles and responsibilities in partnership with district education department and communities in upper dir have been elaborated in the table below
Sarhad Rural Support Programmes
District Education Department
Volunteer Network Forum
- Social/Resource Mobilization
- Feasibilities of Community Based schools
- Provision of play ground facilities (swings, slides, see-saw etc)
- Provision of school consumables
- Linkages of PTAs/Teachers with District Education Department
- Basic Training to CBS teachers
- Ensure quality education
regular field visits for WES activities
- Coordination/linkages with all the relevant stakeholders
- Policy advocacy at provincial level.
- Sharing & Dissemination of project information at district/UNICEF and provincial level.
- Select and nominate teachers for VNF
- Verification of CBS schools.
- Recruiting CBS teachers
- Monitor the CBS activities
- Conduct annual exams of CBS
- Identify and nominate teachers of primary schools for capacity building
- Verify activities of CBS and ensure payments to PTAs.
- Active participation in PTAs and VNF meetings.
- Identify government girls’ schools for WES activities.
- Monitor and verify WES activities
- Financial allocations of the funds provided by UNICEF.
- Deliver trainings for the teachers
- Awareness raising to promote girls education
- Selection of appropriate sites for CBS
- Identify schools needs, communicate to relevant departments and help solving it.
- Monitor UC progress on EFA
- Assist and support SRSP/UNICEF and District Education department to improve quality of education, increase enrollment and decrease drop out.
- Mobilize PTAs and communities to enroll out of school children.
- Regular follow up on decisions taken in VNF meetings
- Fund raising for CBS for its sustainability
- Ensuring minimum of 50 students in CBS
- Enroll out of school children
- Provision of appropriate teaching place/one or two room building
- Ensure safety of teachers and CBS
- Initiation of school develop funds
- Ensure quality education, attendance of teachers and students
- PTA regular meetings and record keeping
- Liaison with District Education department to solve CBS problems
- Raise 20% share for initiating WES activities
- Take strategic steps for CBS sustainability after with drawl of projects
- Monitor the financial matters of CBS